Monday, February 23, 2009

Academy Awards 2009 - My Reactions

Overall, I was quite satisfied.


So I realized last night that the Academy Awards is one of the very few award shows I can proudly sit through for the entire 3 1/2 hours of speeches, performances, and awards. With Hugh Jackman hosting this year, I couldn't have been more content. He opened with a large almost-Broadway performance in which he depicted several of the movies up for nomination this year. It was both amusing and humorous and I thought throughout the entire night, Jackman did a phenomenal job hosting.

As I expected, Benjamin Button was up for a couple nominations and ultimately won in 3 categories.

The Dark Knight took the win for 2 categories, including Heath Ledger winning Best Actor in a Supporting Role. I think everyone predicted this win for Ledger and I can say I was personally very happy about it. As reported, his father, along with his mother and sister, were there to proudly accept the award on his behalf.

However, the film that stole the show was Slumdog Millionaire, bringing home 8 wins including Best Picture. Let me just say, I have not seen Slumdog Millionaire. I want to see it so badly now though! Prior to the Academy Awards, I'm guilty of admitting that I knew very little about this movie but after reviewing the cast and thoroughly reading the synopsis of it, I feel an unhealthy need to see it. During the entire Academy Awards, every nomination mentioned for Slumdog Millionaire, I would nearly jump out of my seat and pay attention to every detail about the cast and film. I haven't wanted to see a movie this bad since the Twilight phenomenon. And that's saying something.

Click here for complete list of Academy Awards winners 2009.

No comments: